WargameProject.com Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ThayanKnight

Reply with quote  #1 
Trying to get the hang of things, but always end up with just not enough troops very quickly and not sure how I can get an army started without going bankrupt. I usually try to make a stack of heavy swordsmen with archers to go take a castle, and end up taking pretty heavy losses even when told "you will most certainly win". So questions;

-Do I need a second catapault for easier sieges?
-Starting general hero, leave behind to train, or take with first army for inspiration?
-Turn off training, tax, and food collection first turn to get growth started?

Or any other advice to not lose the game within first 10 turns.
Toxaz

Reply with quote  #2 
1) Yes, usually it needs two catapults for siege, but sometimes 1 catapult is enough. For example in The Horizon map you can get second castle in the first move with only 1 catapult.
2) its your choice, the hero will be good bonus as unit in battlefield. But as for me I usually stay hero in castle if he has bonus to units (if he train 6 light units instead 4)
3) its interesting question and good subject for research.

I think that you do not have enough speed when capturing castles and developing.
Baruk

Ultimate Hero
Reply with quote  #3 
  • Two catapults are definitely better than one (and become a must when besieging level 2 castles!). The main idea is to assault the castle the same turn after you've fired both of them. So that castle defenders don't have the time to regenerate. When you bombard the castle with one catapult, castle defenders heal and regenerate. Sometimes your catapult makes unlucky shots and you are just wasting your time. 
  • It's a good idea to train some units with general hero in the beginning. But money flow is crucial to your survival. You need more catapults, more mercenaries, more heroes. It all ain't free. So if you see that after a few turns you will run out of money, go for ruins! 
  • Don't overestimate the things you could do with the taxation. The only useful part is managing your food income, since it's important for militia. You could also turn off production to save some money or if your castle has less than 20 men (so that it will grow faster to produce at a normal rate). But most of the time you just want your castles to produce units every turn.
ThayanKnight

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks the reason I suggested turning everything off was because I noticed the starting castle stayed at 20 population the whole time I was training my first army, was thinking I'd end up with more income long term if I let it get a little over that before bulding. I also noticed that ruins and quests can be a huge gamble, sometimes I'll be sent to a nearby ruins guarded by zombies or ghosts who my general stomps easily, other times I have to spend 2 or 3 turns getting to ruins guarded by a lich and necromancer who kill my general.
Toxaz

Reply with quote  #5 
I made little math research about tax decrease. I'll not show you all my calculations but I can say the conclusion. Profit of tax decrease is very low and you get it only in a long time (more than 20 turns).
the simplified formula (in what turns you get full compensation) looks like (n+22)turns and your profit will be +1,8*n gold per turn after that, where n is amount of turns when castle has no tax.

But this could be more usefull if castle has low wealth (at least lower than usual 2.0). After siege, for example
Baruk

Ultimate Hero
Reply with quote  #6 
  • If you produce heavy infantry, your castle's population will slightly grow. So economically it is slightly better to produce heavy units. 
  • Keep your idle units in castles and towers. Regular troops pay less upkeep when garrisoned.
  • Always receive blessings (undead crusade) with your hero in a temple before venturing onto your quests. Also, there's no penalty for not completing the quest. Actually, you can even take another quest right away if you don't like the location. I will change that in future, but now it's totally fine to do that.
Baruk

Ultimate Hero
Reply with quote  #7 
By the way, I recommend playing with all three sides to understand your enemies. [smile]
Dwarves are very sturdy and reliable (like Protoss). Dark side brings sheer numbers of units on battle field (like Zerg) and has most variety in units.
Men are hardest to play in my opinion. They require a lot of micro management. You have chosen complicated path. [smile]

One more thing. We could play a 2vs2 game. Seeing how your ally plays is a good way to learn the game.
Toxaz

Reply with quote  #8 
I think that dark side requires a lot of micro management [smile] more than men)
ThayanKnight

Reply with quote  #9 
A 2v2 game could be fun and a good learning experience. Started one with me as dwarves. Never mind, I will start later after I download new game version.
Toxaz

Reply with quote  #10 
you can join as a dwarf in this game
http://www.wargameproject.com/game?gameId=5826726479265792
ThayanKnight

Reply with quote  #11 
I guess, though quickstart probably won't help my micromanagement problems. At least theoretically in a regular start I'll get used to my armies as I progress.
Toxaz

Reply with quote  #12 
we can also make another game without quick start
ThayanKnight

Reply with quote  #13 
Is the purify spell the counter to dark portals?
Toxaz

Reply with quote  #14 
no
ThayanKnight

Reply with quote  #15 
How do I buy a food wagon from halflings? It says there's one available but I only get the option to hire halflings.

Messing around in hotseat game I figured out it was because I didn't have enough gold when I asked the question.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

@ 2014 Dark Ambassador Studios
Email Facebook GooglePlus Blogger