This topic is about concept of unique weapon in the game. In the light of the recent publication of the future of wargameproject, I propose to discuss the concept artifacts in the game to help the developer to decide with this in their mind.
I think it would be better if all the questions associated with the artifacts we split in the points.
1) what is it artifact?
2) how and who can use it?
3) how it it appears in the game?
4) What effect is given?
My original concept is:
1) first of all it should be sword because in many stories, tales, games, sword takes a special place. But it may be another weapon too or even armor. Weapon should have unique graphics. Unique weapons do not exist as an object on the map, and is tied to any a unit. What types of artifacts can exist is an open question.
2) I admit that the sword can be worn (but not use) by any units, including non-combat, like monks. But the artifacts can only used by heroes / barons. If your hero was killed, but your army is still alive, there is no need to conduct another hero to the place of the battle to pick up the artifact. If you kill an enemy hero with the artifact and destroyed his army, this artifact is transferred to you.
3) I had a few variants. First is that weapon falls to the player from a artifacts merchant for some fee. The second is that weapon was located on the map at a strong neutral army from the start of game. Third is that you can find it in ruins with a good guard (2 troll). It was one of the most difficult questions
4) it is the least-designed part. I suggested something like a bonus against specific races, orcs, dwarves, humans, and so on, but the question of weapons effect is also open.
In a few words, I image the concept as follows: weapons can be captured after the battle, it is difficult to get it, and it should give a significant bonus.
I will not give all the details of the discussion with Megas and Baruk, just say how the concept has changed in my mind:
1) Weapon should have unique graphics. it can be not only sword or bow but a detail of armor, for example shield. Unique weapons can exist as an object on the map, after the battle, if the hero is dead, artifact will left on the battlefield until it someone will pick up, respectively, also it is necessary to create new image of the battlefield with the artifact. What types of artifacts can exist is still an open question (in addition to swords, bows, axes and shields). Megas also noted that now there is a unique weapon and a shield - dark Ambassador has them.
2) Only heroes can use and wear artifacts (dark ambassador and dark knights from the dark race). This means that if your hero dies and there are no another hero in the army - artifact will left on the battlefield until he is selected by another hero.
3) Quest system looks much more ideal for artifacts. The quest system can also exists for dark race. But doing only one quest reduced to a simple battle in nearby ruins - so as a reward for a single quest such weapons can not be viewed. Megas proposed the following: after the quest system will be expanded, artifacts can be given for the making of a series of quests. And all of these quests should pass the same hero. So It will not be easy to get unique weapon. I think a series of quests is a good solution of this problem
4) in addition to the bonus against races, Megas proposed to make crashproof Shield, it can be very usefull for human heroes. But the point about bonuses from weapons is still under question
All of this questions we need to discuss.
Now I can also add other questions:
-What the maximum number of unique weapons should be, and should it be limited at all?
a list of questions will be added during the discussion
So, as I said, I see the meaning of the discussion in order to help developers to better consider the concept of artifacts in the game. Any ideas, thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcomed) mainly I offer to start from the the second part post, second concept. The first is presented as an example of another (initial) view about the artifacts, its quite crude and unexamined, while after a brief discussion some problems (for examle 3 questions about how to enter artifact in the game) get real incarnation.