WargameProject.com Forum
Register Latest Topics

Poll Results

Should we release Map Editor to public?
 I would definitely use it to create my custom map 5 100%
 I don't care for Map Editor 0 0%
Total votes: 5   Please or register an account to vote.

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
Baruk

Ultimate Hero
Reply with quote  #46 
That would be cool [smile] We do need more tutorial/campaign missions. I have an unfinished Dwarven campaign, Megas started another human campaign mission, but never finished it. We are dreaming about Dark campaign too.
But campaign engine needs a lot of work to be finished. And another big step would be to incorporate it in map editor. All I can say for now is that I have it in on my agenda, since you are not the only one who asked me about this. [smile]

As for Starcraft map editor - I remember running it once or twice, but it was so long ago that I already don't remember anything. I've just checked briefly what are the triggers in Starcraft. And actually, I think our system of hooks/objectives is very similar to Starcraft triggers. We can specify conditions (enter area, select army, kill unit, etc) and outcomes (spawn army, center on map, trigger objective, etc). We can specify objectives for specific players, chain objectives together to form a story line (with junctions and player choices). One huge disadvantage is that everything is done manually through editing of xml files, which quickly becomes unbearable. [smile] So yes, we need an upgrade! I for one want to have a pretty editor and don't mess with xml files.

What map sizes do you think are required? Do you want to have bigger maps or you are not comfortable with making smaller map filling empty space in map editor?

Herystofanes

Reply with quote  #47 
I think that one small size, one medium and one large one should be enough. I like the idea of 60x60, 100x100 and 200x200. First would be good for quick testing some map ideas and learning the mapping posibilities, second is already a standard so I would not change it. It's also great for not so large map project or a single scenerio one. The last one is for fans of editor ([biggrin]) and for mass units command testing (some ideas that are great for small and medium size armies are not so good or even bad when facing logistics for thousands and millions of units/objects - same topic for balancing sides).
Herystofanes

Reply with quote  #48 
Baruk

I'm updating this thread. Do you have time for expanding the editor (at least with travel signs - triggers could come later)? I'd like to do a simple turtorial fo new players [biggrin]
Baruk

Ultimate Hero
Reply with quote  #49 
Hey Herystofanes! Glad to hear from you again. I've made a significant progress in map editor already and plan to return to development of it soon. Though I have to admit next version is not yet ready to be released any time soon.

Do you have a script for your tutorial? Or some general plan?
Herystofanes

Reply with quote  #50 
There is a general plan to do 3 small maps (one for every race).
I would then add a separate thread for every one of those maps and discuss what else can be "tutoured" in them.

Toxaz

Reply with quote  #51 
Good idea, i have some scripts and thinks about tutorial too. I`ll be glad to discuss it[smile]
Herystofanes

Reply with quote  #52 
I've launched te current map editor and (apart from it being great [biggrin]) it's not yet ready for giving a little bit of story telling with it. An Idea get to my mind that while work with all of the aspects of the game occurs in slow montion mode, I could do a little bit of story telling  or give some unofficial myths/legends to the game with new maps. If there would be at least an roadsign element on the map, which would trigger a message information for the player we could do miracles with our imagination here! [biggrin] I think It would be fun for the developers too [biggrin] 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

@ 2014 Dark Ambassador Studios
Email Facebook GooglePlus Blogger